As the September 26 debate at Hofstra University draws near, and as the election draws closer voters must begin to think about the issues that are most important to the debate and the stances the two candidates have on these stances. One of them major issues being discussed during this election is the issue of gun control.
- Supports increased gun control and increased background checks
- Supports reinstating ban on assault weapons
- Supports laws that makes buying guns for someone prohibited from buying them a federal crime
- Supports closing loopholes that let the mentally ill buy and use guns
- Defended Brady Bill: required federal background checks on some gun sales
- Voted and co-sponsored legislations to close loopholes and to bring back ban on assault weapons
Hillary Clinton is a strong supporter of increased gun control. She has said that “weapons of war have no place on our streets”. Both in the past and currently, Clinton has supported increased gun control in the United States along with increased background checks in hopes of putting an end to gun violence in the United States. Besides being an active supporter of increased gun control, Clinton has recently worked with families affected by gun violence in her campaign “Mothers of the Movement”. This campaign brought together mothers whose children were the victims of gun violence, and they explained why they were supporting Clinton and why they believed that Clinton is the best candidate to bring change to the gun violence in America.
“I know there is a way to have sensible gun control measures that help prevent violence, prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands, and save lives and I’m committed to doing everything I can to achieve that.”-Hillary Clinton on reaction to Oregon shooting
- Supports the second amendment and doesn’t think any changes should be made
- Prosecute violent criminals and be stricter than Obama administration has been
- Doesn’t think increased background checks are necessary
- Supports right to carry
- Changed position: In 2000 claimed he supported ban on assault weapons but in 2015 said bans on assault weapons “are a total failure”
Trump now believes that the second amendment is a right that needs to be saved. He has claimed that “the Right to Keep and Bear Arms protects all our other rights”. Trump said in a “Face the Nation” interview that he is willing to work to pass policies that would keep people on the terror watch list from buying weapons. He believes that everyone has the right to carry concealed weapons, and has said that he himself has a license to carry a concealed weapon and believes that concealed carry permits should be valid in all 50 states.
“Our founding fathers knew and our supreme court has upheld that the 2nd amendment purpose is to guarantee our right to defend ourselves and our families, we need that. In fact I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that.”-Donald Trump at campaign rally in Kentucky